Formalities of applying for foreigner’s 4-year residence permit

By labourxi • August 30th, 2010

Formalities of applying for foreigner’s 4-year residence permit

I.  Qualifications:

     Any foreigner, if conforming to one of the following qualifications, can apply for 4-year residence permit:

  1. Department manager of Shanghai regional headquarters of a transnational corporation;
  2. Department manager and researcher of a research and development center;
  3. Department manager of an investment company;

     At the same time, the accompanying spouse, children under the age of 18 and parents of such foreigner can apply for foreigner’s residence permit with the same time limit.

II. Formalities:

  1. Submitting the Foreigner Visa and Residence Permit Application Form completely filled up and one recent 2-inch half-length, bareheaded and full-Paced photograph;
  2. The original and the duplicate of the certificate of check-in in Shanghai (issued by the hotel or the police substation of the area where the lodging takes place);
  3. Handing over the originals of the valid passport and visa for examination;
  4. Submitting the original of the Health Certificate issued by Shanghai entry-exit inspection and quarantine department;
  5. Submitting the official letter of application of the unit;
  6. Submitting the official letter of Shanghai Municipal Commission of Commerce or Shanghai Municipal Foreign Affairs Office;
  7. Submitting the applicant’s written application;
  8. Submitting the original and the duplicate of the Certificate of Approval of Enterprise, the Duplicate of Business License, the Representative Agency Registration Certificate or the Organization Code Certificate;
  9. Submitting the Certificate of Enterprise Authentication issued by Shanghai Municipal Commission of Commerce;
  10. Submitting the originals of the Employment Credential and the Employment Registration Form for persons from the general manager down (or F-type persons holding the Shanghai Residence Card B); submitting the original of the Expert Certificate for foreign experts.
  11. The accompanying family members of such personnel should provide the duplicate of the Family Relation Certificate and corresponding documents, besides their own valid passports and visas (If the family relation certificate was made in foreign country, it should be translated by the authorized organization inside China when necessary).


  1. Any applicant under the age of 18 or above the age of 70 or any applicant, who extends the Residence Permit within 3 months as of its expiration, can be exempted from submitting the Health Certificate.
  2. The applicant under the age of 18 or above the age of 70 should go through the formalities in person for the first application; the working unit or a family member of the applicant can do it on behalf of the applicant for the second one (the working unit can do it by the employee’s Reference Letter and valid Identity Card and the family member call do it by the Family Relation Certificate).
  3. Enquire the applicant and ask him (her) to submit supplementary documents when necessary.

III. Time and Place:

Monday-Saturday   9:00-17:00 (Except National Holidays)
Note: Credentials are handled alone on Saturday.
1500, Minsheng Road, Pudong New Area

IV. Time Limit of Handling and Winding Up a Case: Within 5 working days

V.  Fee Standard:

For details, see the Visa Fee Standard of Reciprocal Countries and Non-Reciprocal Countries, the State Development and Planning Commission and the Ministry of Finance [J. J. G. (2003) No.392]

VI. Information Telephone: 28951900

VII. Supervision Telephone: 68547109

Exit-Entry Administration
Shanghai Public Security Bureau
December 2009


« | Home | »

checklist overview

September 14, 2010
by: labourxi • Uncategorized

map of shanghai

August 28, 2010
by: labourxi • Uncategorized

the rule of our services

August 27, 2010
by: labourxi • Uncategorized